Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homeric Hymns Hermes

Upon first glance one may find Hermes to be quite distasteful. He kills innocent animals, steals from his own brother and then lies about it. There seems to be very little about this baby, that makes him lovable on any level. However, if one looks closer they may find that he is very much like someone you might know.

I have a younger brother, and I imagine several of you do as well. I cannot begin to count the number of times I have wanted to strangle my brother for taking my things and then breaking them. When he was younger he was forever getting into trouble, but without a doubt he almost always talked himself out of any dire punishments.

My brother seems so much like the young Hermes. They both get into all kinds of mischief, and at the end of the day everyone seems to forgive them, and not only that, but they welcome them back with open arms. Hermes, being so much like the mischievous little boys we know becomes much more likable when looked upon as someone you know.

When my brother takes something of mine and lies about it, yes I will be mad just as Apollo was, but at the end of the day, he is still my brother. As such, kin calls to kin, and we cannot help but love and forgive them for their infuriating ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment