65% of the test will be these questions or based on them.
- What does hubris mean?
- Pride or arrogance
2. What happened at the Elucinian Mysteries?
- Done: Reenactment of the abduction of Persephone
- Seen: Stalk of wheat or grain of corn
- Said: Rain Conceive
3. What are Steiner's Five Conflicts (in order)!
- Men vs. Women
- Age vs. Youth
- Individual vs. State
- Living vs. Dead
- Gods vs. Humans
4. What is an epithet?
- a sort of nick name; a handle; give example: trim ankled Persephone, Wily Odysseus
5. Which two characters exemplify the five conflicts?
- Antigone and Creon
6. What is Stichonmithia?
- rapid exchange of one liners
7. What is sparagmous
- the tearing or rendering of living flesh
8. Define Anthropocentric view
- in the Greek tradition, the view that is based on humans
9. Define miasma
- The pollution, specifically in relation to Creon, when the dead are not treated properly
10. Know Antigone's view of politics....The Notion of a Moving target, and the Origin of Creon's Name
- she favors the gods rule rather than the king's decree, and politics in general do not interest her. She stands for her values: family, ceremony and especially the duty of the living to bury their family.
- The play warns against moral complacency. Antigone drives Creon crazy, who drives his Son crazy in consequence, and eventually because they do not do what is right everyone close to Creon dies.
- Creon's name means ruler, and he works to keep the kingdom happy, and order, yet he is not overly ambitious
11. The Myth of the Eternal Return
- Endless repetition of things
- In relationship to Demeter and Persephone, from Winter to Spring etc.
12. Who is Hermes like with relation to the show "Family Guy"
13. Thorough said we should read the __________ rather than the __________.
- eternities, times
14. Who is guilty of taking one from above and tossing them below?
- Creon tossing Antigone
- Zeus tossing Persephone to Hades
15. Define In illo Tempore
- In the great time, ex. we do this because in the beginning they did this...etc.
16. Which 2 mythological figures are poly tropic?
17. Who are the three great tragedians?
18. Who was the God of Crossroads?
19. Define Agon
- Conflict that leads to agony
20. All that is _________ possesses the ______.
- past, present
21. According to the chorus what are the two best things that can happen to you?
- The second best is to die
- The first is to have never been born
22. Define Sarvan Darum, Sarvam Anitium
- All is suffering, all is fleeting
23. What injury did Oedipus have as a babe?
- He had holes drilled into his ankles
24. What does Antigone's name mean?
- Against Birth
25. What is Hermes excuse for his innocence?
- He was just born yesterday.
26. What did Robert Johnson do at the crossroads?
- He sold his soul to the devil so he could play the guitar
27. why do we laugh according to Freud?
- to keep from crying
28. what does it mean to make something Anigogic?
- going in to the heavenly realm, try to use heavenly interpretation
29. What does senex mean?